EARLY HISTORY OF PLATTSMOUTH
Our city gets its name from its location at the confluence of the Platte River and the Missouri River - hence "mouth of the Platte" - making us quite literally the only "Plattsmouth" on the planet! (:>))
The Lewis and Clark Expedition of 1804 camped on our west bank of the Missouri River just south of present day Plattsmouth in an area later called Kenosha. Just to the north they explored a portion of the Platte River previously discovered and named by Pierre and Paul Mallet in 1739. French fur trappers knew this portion of the Louisiana Territory very well.
By 1854, our area had grown from a trading post known as "the Old Barracks" to become a Missouri River crossing point where many wagon trains made their way into the expanding United States. "The area that is now lower main street was the staging point for the South Platte Trail of the Oregon Trail. For approximately 18 years an average of 12,000 pioneers per month headed west on this trail. (ack - The book Plattsmouth, by Dale M. Bowman)
Incorporated in 1855, we have one of the oldest commercial streets in Nebraska, the county seat of Cass County, a designated "An All American City" by Mrs. Laura Bush in 2006 and a Nebraska "Main Street Community" since 2000.